“Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth,
and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world.” ~ Brenda Peterson

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

One on one




The nonprofit is currently entering the 27th week of our homeless meal service. At times, I am in awe at how something so simple evolved into something quite amazing.

I used to think that I was alone in this mission...and I guess I had come to terms with that. I realize that a lot of people never fully understood why the homeless have always been so important to me, and in truth...that's okay. It hasn't always been easy and effortless, and quite plausibly I have probably doubted myself more than I believed that I could effectively assist our homeless clients. I continued to push through because I realized that it wasn't about me, it was about them. And in the end, all of the criticism, and unsolicited advice didn't hurt me -- but if I gave up and let it affect our efforts, then our homeless clients would have suffered even more.

Somewhere along the way, other people started to share my desire to not only feed the homeless, but to also reach out to them on the streets of uptown. I'm not entirely sure how this transpired but nonetheless, I am extremely thankful and beyond appreciative for the rare few who have followed my lead. This mission may have started with me, but it now has very little to do with me. So many volunteers have made it a part of them, which is truly amazing. A local Pastor recently described our efforts as "Mercy and Grace...a rare combination." And thus...Operation Save Charlotte's Homeless was born.

I really admire that description of our efforts, and if anything...our street outreach and advocacy group will continue to grow. We are set to take to the streets tomorrow night, and then again on Sunday, November 6th @2pm.

While the meal service provides a chance for the homeless to come into the Government building and obtain a meal and vital supplies, interaction is limited because the whole operation happens rather quickly -- and there are often around 80 individuals in attendance.

But when we take to the streets, it gives us the opportunity to converse with them, and it also helps to restore their dignity. I love these one on one interactions, and although at times seeing them suffer can be unbearable -- since they have to suffer and experience this unfortunate plight, the least we can do is witness it and help them to the best of our abilities.

"You make a living by what you get, but you make a life by what you give." Winston Churchill
Giving of yourself is the ultimate sacrifice, but it is the only way to live a full and humble life.