“Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth,
and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world.” ~ Brenda Peterson

Monday, November 14, 2011

For the record...

I'm not sure if I have ever previously published an article that evoked as much controversy as my Occupy CLT piece has. Wow. Here is something that may be lost in the criticism. I don't necessarily disagree with everything that their movement stands for. I actually wholeheartedly admire their perseverance and their desire to bring about change. In addition, I think that most everyone in our country will agree that it is the best of times for big corporations, and the worst of times for Americans.

My issue lies more in the way that the group is structured, along with their lack of presenting a solution to the things that they oppose. In the end, vigor is useless in the absence of a viable solution.

Originally, when I saw my homeless friends being hounded last week, I too assumed that the crackdown was due to the DNC coming to town. But, then I thought about the current issues, and inevitably, OC came to mind. It became quite evident at that time, that the proposed city ordinance was a direct response to the Occupy Charlotte Movement, not the DNC.

Unfortunately, when people raise awareness about issues, the city has the right to react. This reaction, if passed, will greatly hinder the homeless population's way of life. Under the ordinance, they could be arrested for having an offensive odor, such as urine -- which is a frequent smell among the population. Is it Occupy Charlotte's "fault?" Well, in actuality, they didn't realize that their actions may lead to less freedom for others...but, their actions can be compared to someone driving too fast. Unfortunately, they didn't look or plan far enough ahead, and as a result, their miscalculated actions led to a collision.

In the end, if OC members are forced to leave with less freedom than they originally had, then then they failed at what they initially set out to do.