“Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth,
and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world.” ~ Brenda Peterson

Monday, November 21, 2011

In the 20's

Last week, the temperature dropped unexpectedly into the 20's. I don't know why it was so unexpected on my part, since it is November. Nonetheless, our homeless clients were not prepared to sleep outside in such frigid temperatures. We were hopelessly short on volunteers on Thursday evening, and therefore, we didn't pass out food and blankets after our meal service. I deeply regret not doing so, and as a result, I couldn't sleep Thursday evening. The realization that our homeless clients were freezing ate away at me all night, and when Friday morning came around -- I knew I had to get blankets over to them.

We went out Friday evening and headed out to their territory. It was slightly intimidating only because we had never approached them under the overpass before. Undoubtedly, once they realized that we were there to help and not harm them, they were receptive to our visit.

It was truly awesome to look past the chasms on both sides, and just interact with them, human to human. We are headed back uptown on 11/22 @630pm. Come on out and join us.