“Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth,
and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world.” ~ Brenda Peterson

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

One year ago...

Happy Anniversary Shout it Charlotte! It's hard to believe that one year ago, I became determined to make a difference and to raise awareness about some of the stereotypes that plague our city. I had no idea then that writing one article in the Charlotte Observer would lead me to writing as a career. I now write for six publications, in nine different sections, in addition to running the nonprofit.

The most rewarding part of it all has been the countless hours we have spent out on the street with the homeless. It's one of the realest experiences that I have ever been a part of.

And while I do feel blessed that I have been able to raise awareness about some of the obstacles that surround the homeless, there is still plenty of work to do. It's a good reminder to never become idle and to always keep persevering, especially leading up to the Democratic National Convention. I still worry that certain measures may be implemented during the DNC that will target my homeless clients.

Here are some recent homeless related articles:

The working poor, minimum wage, and the correlation between the two


CLT's Shelter Crisis, statistics, and the cure for homelessness