“Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth,
and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world.” ~ Brenda Peterson

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tell city council to vote NO!!

Tomorrow, City Council will vote on the camping ordinance. I was on Charlotte Talks 90.7FM, a few days ago, and my friends at city council don't seem to realize the unintended consequences that this ordinance will have on my homeless clients. In fact, Warren Cooksey basically told me on air that I was wrong about the definition of camping.

Camping, as defined by the city clerk: "camping means the use of city property for living accommodation purposes such as sleeping, or making preparations to sleep." My homeless clients often use sidewalks and city benches to sit and rest on, as they have no where else to go. City ordinances frequently serve as prominent tools towards criminalizing homelessness. Please help my narrow-minded friends at city council understand their city clerks definition of camping. If passed, this ordinance will push my homeless clients away from the city sidewalks and benches that they frequently sit/sleep on. It will also push them away from the resources that they so desperately need.

Contact Patsy Kinsey, pkinsey@charlottenc.gov
Contact James Mitchell Jr., JamesDistrict2@aol.com
Contact LaWana Mayfield, lmayfield@charlottenc.gov
contact Michael D. Barnes, barnesdistrict4@aol.com
Contact John Autry, jautry@charlottenc.gov
Contact Andy Dulin, adulin@charlottenc.gov
Contact Warren Cooksey, warren@warrencooksey.com