“Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth,
and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world.” ~ Brenda Peterson

Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 16, writing, and an interesting request...

SCO
Things are going great up at our weekly homeless meal service, and we are entering our 16th week. One of our awesome SCO Board members put in a request at Dominos for dinner for the homeless, so we shall see what happens there. If that doesn't pan out, we will be serving hotdogs and chicken nuggets. The original co founder of SCO will be joining me, and I am looking forward to showing her what she helped create.

We really have assembled quite an awesome group of regular volunteers. I used to believe that this was an impossible feat. The organization has seen its fair share of volunteers come and go throughout the last two years, but our new volunteers are different. They've grown with the meal service, as have I - so too, have our homeless clients. Everyone there has become an integral part of the process. Quite plausibly, we may have created something that will last!

Branching out

I wrote my first article for the Charlotte Viewpoint, last week. The article is about housing the homeless. It will be published in three to four weeks.

Podcast Interview
I received an interesting request this morning. I wrote an article about the recent ruling of the Health Care Law that Obama is trying to pass. The bill, if passed in the Senate, would require nearly 30 million currently uninsured Americans to purchase health insurance, or face a penalty.

The Interview request is for a political discussion about the issue. If it was about poverty, homelessness, or anything in between, I would jump at the opportunity. In truth, when I applied to write for the Examiner I requested to write about social issues, but unfortunately, I was not hired to write about the issues that matter to me most. Instead, I was assigned to write a Public Policy, which actually terrified me because I felt as though I was largely under qualified.

Nonetheless, it was a challenge and I am glad that I went for it. I now have a better understanding about politics and public policy, and of course, I have found interesting ways to integrate poverty and homelessness into my articles.

I'm debating about whether or not to do the podcast. It is a great opportunity to branch out even further, but I'm a little apprehensive because I definitely lack confidence in conversing about politics.