“Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth,
and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world.” ~ Brenda Peterson

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Let's roll...

Meetings have concluded, planning follows, and the continual search for volunteers will remain. Operation Feed the Homeless is ready to go, let's roll!

I feel relieved, elated, with just a touch of anxiety mixed in. I am excited about this new partnership with the Mecklenburg County Government!! I guess walking into somewhat unfounded territory can be a little intimidating. I have faith that it will all work out exactly how it should. With that being said, I am somewhat ready to put aside this serious version of myself for a while.

After we wrapped up what seemed to be a never-ending series of meetings, I was secretly relieved that I could stop studying. I figured I knew more then enough to get by. And then I found this quote: "You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to the level of your training" (English proverb)

And then it hit me that the moment a person becomes idle, they lose ground. I'm glad that I found this quote, it further strengthens my desire to persevere and continue researching. Through research I came across this quote today:

"Until lately the best thing that I was able to think of in favor of civilization, apart from blind acceptance of the order of the universe, was that it made possible the artist, the poet, the philosopher, and the man of science. But I think that is not the greatest thing. Now I believe that the greatest thing is a matter that comes directly home to us all. When it is said that we are too much occupied with the means of living to live, I answer that the chief worth of civilization is just that it makes the means of living more complex; that it calls for great and combined intellectual efforts, instead of simple uncoordinated ones, in order that the crowd may be fed and clothed and housed and moved from place to place. Because more complex and intense intellectual efforts mean a fuller and richer life. They mean more life. Life is an end in itself, and the only question as to whether it is worth living is whether you have enough of it. We are very near despair. The sheathing that floats us over its waves is compounded of hope, faith, in the unexplainable worth and sure issue of effort, and the deep, sub-conscious content which comes from the exercise of our powers."

Wow, this statement has profound depth, think about it...

Nichole Jaworski